Thursday, June 30, 2011

Renewal... Rebirth...


Jon and I recently attended a Life Enrichment/Marriage Boot Camp and I have to say that it was the most profound experience of my life and possibly Jon's as well. We both came away with a greater understanding of who we are individually and as a couple. I can honestly say that I've never felt as close to him as I do right now. We both have changed in such a positive way from this experience and it is almost like he's a new person... which will make falling in love with him all over again even more fun!

We met some wonderful couples and people during this journey. Even though we were with them for 4 days, we feel as though we have been friends a life time. These people know more about each of us than some of our closest friends and family know. In the military, service men and women bond over being in a battle together... only the people present know what they went through and the battle scars they wear. It is the same with these new friends we met. We bonded through our battle to overcome fear, loss of purpose, self-hatred, abuse, molestation, neglect, and any other negative or life altering experience any of us has experienced. We watched each other transform and become renewed.

Life is a journey and you only have one chance, one opportunity to enjoy it. There is no room for selfishness, self-hatred and loathing, guilt, and negativity. Learn to forgive others for pain that they have caused you in your life. Forgiveness is not so that they feel better about themselves. Heck, they don't need to know that they are forgiven. It isn't about them. Forgiveness is about you. Freeing yourself of the control that that particular person and/or event has had over your life. Forgiveness is about getting rid of the baggage that holds you down and keeps you from joy, happiness, and experiencing love. It is wonderful to free yourself of the baggage. To free yourself from the negativity. It is also wonderful to learn how to forgive yourself for any wrong doings that you have done in the past. Anyone you have hurt, intentionally or unintentionally.

Jon and I have talked a lot lately, probably more than we have in a long time and we both feel different. We have a renewed outlook on life, our relationship and our little family unit. I've seen changes in him that just make me love him even more. I'm grateful that I never gave up on our marriage or our family. It would have been so easy to do in hard and difficult times (and we've had our share) but now we have the tools to take us through tough times and come out on the other end, holding hands and stronger. We are grateful for this experience and grateful for the wonderful and lifelong friends we have made through the process. We look forward to the Marriage Boot Camp Reunion Cruise next summer! :-)

Life is good.

No comments: