Thursday, June 26, 2008

Karate Baby


I'm in my 23rd week and have been very worried about not feeling much movement at all. I've also had a lot of people make comments that I wasn't very big. That made me a little nervous... I was so nervous last week that I called my doctor and went in to make sure the heartbeat was still strong and she was doing good. Everything checked out fine.

I had my 4 week appointment yesterday and it went very well. Again I expressed concern for not feeling much of anything. I've been reading websites, books, etc. and there is continual reference to a "gymnast" in my tummy but that hasn't been my experience. To date, she's been pretty calm.

Last night I was sitting in the glider, reading her a bedtime story. I had one hand on my growing tummy and BAM! I felt a kick to my hand! I couldn't believe it! My first thought was "Man, that was some powerful gas!" But then it happened again... BAM! It happened a couple of more times. Maybe she didn't like the book but I didn't care. It was so cool! I went to bed. Jon was already asleep (he had a long and tiring day) so I didn't want to wake him to tell him.

This morning he woke up to get ready for work (he has to be at work at 6 a.m.). I woke up too and could feel a tiny bit of movement. I hoped she would do the same thing she did last night so I grabbed his hand and put it on my tummy. He felt her kick! Several kicks... Then I told him what happened the night before. It was so cool to share that with him. I think Miss Shelby had to just be in the right position for us to feel that and I am thankful to her for doing that! I really needed that reassurance.

I hear some babies are super active and some aren't. Right now the jury is still out as to how active Shelby will be. My mom said I was like a kangaroo when she was pregnant with me... I'm just happy she gave me a little karate kick last night to let me know she's there!

3 comments:

-elyse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-elyse said...

Awe. So great. I can't imagine how awesome it must be for you and Jon to be feeling her. -Elyse

lmccu1 said...

Glad to hear everything is great!
As a dad, I remember that first feeling Kimberlee move & kick. It was amazing. Jon, however you can, you have to be in there for the whole delivery - it's so awe-inspiring and you will see Dez as not only your wife but that trueness of motherhood that God blesses her with. Love you guys - Lee