B is for Beautiful
C is for Colic?
What? Oh yes, we do believe our little one has colic. Since Saturday (I believe. I have lost track of the days of the week), she keeps us up from 6pm-ish to 9pm-ish, crying, screaming, and exhibiting all the signs of colic. One night I thought I'd outsmart her and keep her occupied for a little while with her play mat but she outsmarted me. She extended her terror time an additional hour. Sweet... This colic stuff has us re-evaluating the desire for a sibling right now...
She has the typical gassy stomach associated with colic. Some folks may think it is due to the formula but she also has the same issue with the breast milk (she is getting both right now, supplementing formula when necessary). So we have deduced that it isn't the "food" she's getting. Talked with a dear friend of mine and she suggested probiotics (digestive enzymes). The night before I had just read some information about probiotics in relation to helping colic. What a coincidence! We tried some last night and it seemed to help. However, we aren't counting any chickens just yet. I ordered the type of probiotic recommended in the book, Baby 411, and should be receiving that any day now. Cross your fingers that it will work or at least make things easier for all three of us! I know it has to be painful for her to go through this. It is painful for us to watch and experience! We just don't know how to console her when she's like this. It is so difficult when things are out of your control and she can't communicate what is bothering her. Poor baby...
2 comments:
If the colic doesn't get better, you might want to see if she has reflux. It starts around 3 weeks of age. You can ask Kurt all about the fun we've had with Erin. Good luck. :-)
Probiotics helped a bit, but the Silver Bullet for gas is Mylicon. You can also lay her flat (or as flat as possible), and move her legs like she's doing deep squats, pushing her thighs a bit (just a bit!) into her tummy, then extending them downwards. The first time we did this with Erin, she farted in our faces!
Post a Comment