Monday, November 17, 2008

Four Weeks Old!

Today Shelby is four weeks old. I can't believe it has already been four weeks since she came into this world! Time truly does fly...

Shelby is still having some issues falling asleep at night. For those of you who don't know it, a vacuum cleaner isn't just for cleaning house! It actually calms a crying child. She fights sleep at night so we have a vacuum just for her room that we plug in and start up if necessary. It immediately calms her and soon she drifts off. The only time she wakes up is if her diaper is wet or dirty. Otherwise, we hear nothing but the hum of the vacuum. The experts say the womb is as noisy as a vacuum or blow dryer with all of the whooshing sounds, heartbeat, etc. and I'm beginning to believe it. She is also calmed when I'm blow drying my hair. Amazing!

Shelby is probably close to 9 lbs. already. She loves eating and burping. She smiles a lot in her sleep. Hopefully she is having some wonderful dreams! Shelby HATES going to sleep and having messy diapers. I have to admit the messy diapers aren't our favorite things either. Last week, I noticed her watching my face with great interest so I know she is able to focus on some objects now. Today she really seemed to notice her mobile. She's been listening to the "Winnie the Pooh" song on it for a while but never seemed to notice the animals spinning around. But today she was enamored with it. It was adorable to watch.

We can't wait until she gets past this colicky phase. We've noticed that her personality is starting to emerge a little and we are really looking forward to watching it blossom. I know she is still getting used to her new "world" and it is very different from the world she knew for 9+ months. Every day I'm in awe of her and can't believe we brought this beautiful child into the world. Amazing...

1 comment:

Christine said...

Do you have the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block"? It sounds like you've read it. If not, you could borrow/have our copy.