Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First word and other tidbits...

Ok, so I survived my trip. My mom learned how to use the camera phone and sent me pictures so I wouldn't feel so disconnected. I even got to "talk" to Shelby on the phone. That was fun!

The Saturday before I left (8/1), Shelby said her first word. She has a little play yard in the living room (easier to contain a crawling baby!) and was playing in that while I was in our bedroom for a sec. She was being fussy because I wasn't right there... I came back into the living room and stood next to the play yard and her back was to me. She stopped fussing and just started babbling... "Baa Mama". I froze in my tracks. I said her name and she looked at me. Then I touched my hand to my chest and said "Mama!"... She looked up at me with those beautiful blue eyes and said (clear as day) "Mama..."... You could have knocked me over with a feather! I started crying and hugged her like crazy. That was just the thing I needed before going on my trip. It made my day.

Shelby is kinda grumpy lately. I wonder if it is because she doesn't know how to communicate what's going on in her head. She gets so mad if she doesn't get what she wants or maybe we aren't interpretting her grunts like she'd like. I might have to do some research on this one...

1 comment:

Amy J. said...

Oh, so precious! I still to this day, only get an occasional "mama". Usually, he hollers out "DADAAA" when I walk into the room, even if Daddy isn't even here!

Logan went throught the exact same phase of fussy/tantrums at 9-10 months. I think you're right that it's because she's frustrated that she can't let you know what she wants. It did get better after a few weeks, but now we do get an occasional tantrum (usually when we won't let him do something he wants to do!)