
I haven't been super close to my father's family, due mostly to logistics (although right now that seems like a lame excuse more than a reason). My dad passed away when I was 6 (he was 50 y/o) and I grew up with my mom and brothers and very little family otherwise. My father was the 4th child of 5 to my Grandma and Grandpa and his family was up in Michigan, which seemed so far away.
When I was in Jr. High, I received notice that my Grandma Gilmore passed away and I contacted my Aunt Vera. We had written back and forth a little but not too much. But after a phone conversation, we decided it would be good for me to visit the family. There would be a family reunion that summer in Michigan and Aunt Vera invited me to stay with her. I flew up there that summer (first time on a plane) and attended the family reunion.
My Aunt Ruth was there. She was the youngest of the Gilmore clan and a fiery red head. Her husband, Uncle Howard, was a spitting image of Walter Matthau. I thought that was so cool! Aunt Ruth had 9 children and that just fascinated me. She had organized most of the reunion and had put together "The Book" of family history, showing all of the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. "The Book" also talked about where my grandparents came from. My Aunt Ruth created "The Book" to read to my Grandma Gilmore to help her remember her family (as Grandma got older, she started forgetting so much).
Seeing this book was like a puzzle coming together, making me realize that there was a part of my genetic makeup that I knew little about. Aunt Ruth exposed me to that. I remember coming home that summer and reading "The Book" over and over again, pouring over the pages to see if there were relatives that I resembled, in looks or characteristics. My Aunt Ruth was responsible for introducing me to my family.
Over the years, I tried my best to keep in touch with her and now, I only wish I had tried harder. Uncle Howard passed away years ago. And fortunately, Aunt Ruth found love again with Uncle Ralph (Uncle Ralph had been widowed as well and I believe God put them together, knowing they would love and find peace with each other). They were together for quite some time. Recently I invited them to our wedding but due to the distance, they couldn't come. I wrote her a letter about a month ago, letting her know our baby news. Unfortunately she never got the chance to read it.
My Uncle Ralph wrote me back and I received his letter yesterday. Aunt Ruth passed away in March. I don't know the details but am deeply saddened. Sad because I never took advantage of the opportunity to get to know her better and stay in touch more. And also sad because I feel she is the last connection I had to my dad. All of his siblings are now gone. There is no one around any longer that knew him as a child or a young man. No one to tell me stories about him and his family growing up in Michigan.
Aunt Ruth, please know that I love you and will miss you. I always identified with you and your fiery red hair. You were very feisty and full of life. I loved that about you. I hope you find peace in heaven. Please give Uncle Howard my love too.
1 comment:
Thank you for the beautiful tribute to my Mom.
Your cousin in Michigan,
Jean Marie Craig Alderink
Post a Comment