Again, this has been a difficult week for healthy eating, mostly because it was packed with birthday activities and time was short some evenings. I made "decent" decisions but not stellar ones. That's ok. I just have to learn to forgive myself and continue forward. Sometimes that is easier said than done, but it is a very important step!In many discussions with friends and people on similar journeys, I've come to realize several things (some of which I already knew but reinforcement of the ideas is always helpful):
Buddy up! I have several friends that are on the same type of journey and it helps to email them for support (and vice versa). Maybe we exchange recipes or words of encouragement. Whatever the communication, it is GREATLY appreciated and really helps me bounce back on track! And I hope it helps them in some way as well.
Water! I can't stress this enough. Drink plenty of water... and then some. A gal at work gave me a tip when she saw me drinking from a huge-ass water bottle. Find one with a straw. It is easier to drink from a glass with a straw than gulp from a glass. And you know what, she was right! I found a cool Camelbak water bottle with a straw and I take it with me everywhere I go. I drink a ton of water. And when I forget to drink my 'allotted' amount (weekends are the hardest), I can tell a difference in how I feel.
Miracle pills/potions/etc. They are an urban legend. They may get you to a specific weight, in an unhealthy way, but going that route doesn't educate you on how you can avoid getting BACK to that place again! Sure, you might lose 25 pounds, taking a magic pill and eating only one meal a day but when you wake up back in the real world of temptation and all-you-can-eat buffets, it will be hard to function and not fall back into old habits. Learn to change your habits and adjust. You can still enjoy things you like to eat but in moderation. Don't go for a huge plate of migas for breakfast, choke down a cheeseburger, fries and shake for lunch, and follow up with a steak and fully-loaded baked potato chaser for dinner. Instead, enjoy your migas but make sensible and healthy choices for your lunch and dinner. Re-educate yourself about healthy and tasty options and don't waste your money on a short-term solution such as a pill, all-in-one shake or potion, etc.
Try new recipes. Find ways to eat things you like but in a healthier way. Look up alternative recipes for your favorite foods that use healthier and less fattening ingredients! Be open to trying dishes you have never had before. Branch out and experiment. I'm beginning to try new recipes and options and am really enjoying the variety. If you stick with just salads and broiled meat with brown rice, you won't last long. The monotony will kill you and totally unmotivate you. View this journey as a lifestyle change and embrace new ways of experiencing what you really love about food: the flavors!
Enjoy eating out... but plan ahead as much as possible. Many restaurants have websites where you can get the lowdown on what it is you are putting into your mouth. You will be shocked about some of the things you find out! I'm still in shock over the Texas Style Spud at Jason's Deli! Look it up! You will be too.
Try on old clothes. Recently I have been hugely motivated by trying on clothes in my closet that I haven't worn in YEARS. I mean YEARS!! Today I am wearing a pair of pants I haven't worn since before our wedding (and our 3 year anniversary is next week!). It's a huge motivation to put on an old (formerly too small) pair of pants and they fit... and they fit nicely! I have kept an old pair of pants, that are now clown pants, to be a reminder of where I was at the beginning of my journey but the rest of the larger clothes are being donated soon so I'm not tempted to fall back into old habits. If I gain weight again, I want it to be totally painful (and expensive) to get a wardrobe that fits. I'd rather spend my future money on smaller clothes than shopping for larger ones again!
That's all that's on my mind right now. Time to get back to my regularly scheduled program... Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment