Saturday, October 11, 2008

Homemade Diaper Wipes

As a shower gift, Amy made me some homemade diaper wipes. Here's the recipe:

1/2 roll Paper Towels (such as Bounty)
2 Tbsp. Baby Shampoo
2 Tbsp. Baby Oil
2 Cups Water

Cut a roll of paper towels in half (height-wise). Pour the shampoo, oil and water into canister. Place the 1/2 roll of towels into mixture. After about 30 minutes, turn roll over. After another 30 minutes, remove the cardboard center from the roll and toss. Use wipes, pulling from the center of the roll.

****************

Several weekends ago, Jon and I went back to Austin Baby (where we have our diaper service) and did a refresh of the Cloth Diapering 101 class. The gal suggested making our own diaper wipes. She actually uses a similar recipe and has it in a spray bottle instead. She suggested using cloth wipes (such as washcloths, cut up receiving blankets, fleece, etc.) and spraying them with the solution (you can also spray the baby and wipe with the cloth). Anyway, she said to wipe the baby clean and then use the dry part of the cloth to wipe the baby dry, thus helping prevent diaper rash. This little tidbit I had forgotten from our first class and am grateful we went for the refresher.

Here's some other recipes for diaper wipe solutions that I found online. One if very similar to Amy's recipe but just a tiny bit different.

1 comment:

-elyse said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely going to make use of it in the future.